Our history includes some incredible historic churches including the painted Guardian Angel Catholic Church in Wallis. One of the last Painted Churches built in Texas, construction started in 1913 and was completed on October 21, 1915. It is believed to be one of the oldest and largest solid wood structures of its type in Texas. The church was designed in a gothic style by architect Leo Dielman of San Antonio and was built by Jan Bujnoch of Wallis with the help of parishioners who volunteered their carpenter skills. The leaded stained glass windows were created in Italy and there are three brass bells in the tower. It is listed on the national Register of Historic Places, with a historical marker dedicated in 1996. The church is at 5610 Demel Street in Wallis and is opened daily, with group tours by appointment. 979-478-6532.