Central Texas is known for its historic dance halls and Austin County has some of the finest.
The Bellville Turnverein pavilion, built in 1897 by local contractor Joachim Hintz, is one of several polygonal social halls built in Austin County during this era. Used as a social club by the German immigrants living in the area, this 12-sided structure required extra long lumber which was shipped directly from the mills. It was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1996 and continues today as a focal point for many community events & gatherings. Liedertafel Hall in Sealy was built in 1914 by a German singing society on land donated by the Lux and Kinkler families for the purpose of a gathering place for plays, concerts, and dancing. The Cat Spring Agricultural Hall, Peters Hall, Milheim Hall and others round out the scene.