One of the last Painted Churches built in Texas, construction started in 1913 and was completed on October 21, 1915. It is believed to be one of the oldest and largest solid wood structures of its type in Texas. This church, in Gothic Style, was designed by architect Leo Dielman of San Antonio and was built by Jan Bujnoch of Wallis with the help of parishioners who volunteered their carpenter skills. The interior is newly painted artistically while keeping the ornate altars as close as possible to the original design. The leaded, stained glass windows were created in Italy. There are three brass bells in the tower.
Guardian Angel Catholic Church is listed on the national Register of Historic Places, with a historical marker dedicated in 1996.
See more photos here.
The church is opened daily, with group tours by appointment.